Monday, April 2, 2012

How do I connect within personal relationships through communication?

In personal relationships there a variety of processes that we use to interact with each other.  The interpersonal climate that individuals are in greatly depends on self-disclosure.  Self-disclosure is essentially the foundation of all relationships.  Self disclosing is a risk that we all take when we are interacting with one another.  Revealing too much information could ruin the friendship and on a greater scale our reputation.  This is a risk that all of us take, and that all of of us must take in order to have a successful relationship.  When people begin self disclosing and sharing information about themselves, they are setting up a supportive climate between each other.  A climate such as this allows a positive relationship for each individual to share information with each other.  The more we continue to disclose, allows a greater trust to build.  With trust, tensions will begin to build in relationships.  These help partners learn and figure out how to get through situations together.  These speed bumps are known as relational dialects, which can make or break the relationship.
When I first meet someone new, I try and figure out what they are really like.  I am a person that does not like to self disclose information.  It takes me a long time to build trust in a person, which allows me to to allow other individuals to learn things about me.  Now that I know about personal relationships, I will be able to  build relationships with people more quickly than before.  Every person is different and each individual must figure out what works best for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment